TorrentFreak has given their list of the top 10 most pirated movies of the year according to their downloads tracking.
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (8,400,000 estimated downloads)
2. Django Unchained (8,100,000 estimated downloads)
3. Fast and Furious 6 (7,900,000 estimated downloads)
4. Iron Man 3 (7,600,000 estimated downloads)
5. Silver Linings Playbook (7,500,000 estimated downloads)
6. Star Trek Into Darkness (7,400,000 estimated downloads)
7. Gangster Squad (7,200,000 estimated downloads)
8. Now You See Me (7,000,000 estimated downloads)
9. The Hangover Part 3 (6,900,000 estimated downloads)
10. World War Z (6,700,000 estimated downloads)
For the record, my predictions at the beginning of the year only included half of these (#3, #4, #6, #9 and #10)
I really expected The Hunger Games to potentially be on the list as well as a few others like Jack the Giant Slayer, Kick-Ass 2, This is the End, Thor: The Dark World and The Wolverine. By far, the biggest surprises to me are that Man of Steel and Pacific Rim aren't on the list.
What does this list tell us?
First and foremost, it reiterates that action movies are where people put a lot of their attention. Nearly everything on this list is an action film and many of them are in the Comic-Con type of fandom genre.
Also, what's interesting is the differences in grosses for the films. The two that grossed the most worldwide earnings were The Hobbit and Iron Man 3, both breaking the $1 billion mark. It's expected that so many downloads were a result of people wanting to watch the popular movies.
However, something like Gangster Squad made only 1/10th that, capping off at around the $100 million mark. This must have been a film that people were interested in seeing, but not interested in actually spending their money on. For good reason, too, as I personally thought it wasn't that good. This probably applied to Now You See Me as well, though that did much better with $350+ million at the box office (not too much more than The Hangover Part 3, showing that people just weren't as into the third film in that trilogy as they were the first).
What do you think about this list? Are there any things that surprise you? Did you download any of these movies? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!