Posted by
Unknown
- Tuesday, January 28, 2014
In 2001, Assemblyman Felix W. Ortiz (D-Brooklyn) passed the bill that banned the use of handheld cellphones while driving. Thirteen years later, he has introduced legislation that may expand to include the use of Google Glass, saying it's just as dangerous as a cellphone, his website released earlier this month.
 |
| Google Glass - Google.com |
"Okay Glass, take me home," a Glass wearer could say to retrieve turn-by-turn directions straight in front of his or her right eye. You may think this would be the answer to cellphone-free driving, but Ortiz thinks otherwise.
With invasion of privacy and potential illegal recording in movie theaters at the forefront of the device's legal concerns, state legislatures are now pushing for a statewide ban on the use of Google Glass while driving.
There are yet to be any laws set in place against the use of Glass while driving, although California resident Cecilia Abadie was ticketed last October for speeding and driving while using Google Glass, San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
 |
| Google Glass directions |
"The recent case in California where a woman was ticketed for distracted driving because she was wearing Google Glasses while driving highlights the need for legislation to expressly prohibit the use of this extremely dangerous technology," Ortiz said on his website. "I will continue the fight to keep our highways safe as I have done for many years."
The amount of information Google Glass is able to convey has the potential to become a dangerous distraction for drivers.
A spokesman for Google told ABC News in October that users "should always use Glass responsibly and put their safety and the safety of others first."
Google Glass is not yet sold to the general public and is only available to a select few in the Google Explorer program. According to Google, the device can take pictures and video, give directions, translate your voice, answer questions, send a message, and provide information on flight times—all through the tiny screen above your right eye.
As far as safety goes while driving, Google Glass has a DriveSafe app that is intended to keep drivers awake, Buffalo News said. The app will project audible alerts if it senses that the driver is dozing behind the wheel.
Do you think the proposed legislation is fair? Let us know in the comment section below.
Posted by
Fellonius Munch
'Tis the season to be sick of winter already (tra-la-la-la-laaa)! However, Kevin Smith (creator of Jay and Silent Bob) creator would have to be different, though, wouldn't he?
 |
| And by his expression, you can tell it's not a Bruce Willis movie. |
Smith recently blogged that he was currently pitching a Christmas movie for $2 million, but if you think this is going to be "just some other Christmas movie," you don't know Kevin Smith well enough. Titled Comes The Krampus, Smith and a handful of directors, including "Jay" himself (Jason Mewes), are actually making a festive Creepshow-styled horror film based on the ever-so-Christmassy European child-eating monster of myth/superstition.
 |
| What do you mean, who? This guy, duhhh! |
Now, I've been no stranger to Smith adding horror elements to his work in the past…
…but I haven't been keeping up lately, so I didn't realize he's been immersing himself in the horror genre with the likes of Tusk and Helena Handbag. Well, whatever keeps him busy and far away from mainstream movies such as Cop Out, right?
I am, however, now keeping my eyes peeled, if for no other reason than just to make sure that this doesn't become just an adult version of some similar crap that I was forced to watch a few Christmases back.
 |
| Jim Carrey: hates violence in films, likes films that make people stupid. |
Smith is hoping to start shooting after completing Clerks 3 in the spring. Just so you Fanboys (and Fangirls) who appreciate this news can have a little more clarity, the Fatman also had this to say on his blog (regarding the individual segments of Comes The Krampus):
Andy McElfresh will direct the “The Krampus vs. The 3rd Grade” episode
(SO fucked up), Jason Mewes (yes – THAT Jason Mewes) will direct the
“Hitler’s Krampus” episode (twisted period piece), I will direct the
“Mask Maker” episode (the Gothic horror piece), Carol Banker will direct
the “The Proposal” episode (which is fucking nuts), and Jennifer
Schwalbach will direct “The Bad Babysitter” – which is the framing
device that holds the whole mess together. Jordan Monsanto will produce
for SModcast Pictures, and the twin SModCo cherries on the top of this
scary sundae? I’m gonna force my Bro Scotty Mo(sier) to act in it and
Babble-Meister RALPH GARMAN will feature in every episode!
Sound off, fanboys! Are you looking forward to Christmas yet? Comments below and thanks for reading.
Posted by
Fellonius Munch
Making waves quite a lot lately is the ever-faithful comic book label Dark Horse. The latest news is no exception, at least to diehard fans of Avengers director Joss Whedon's cult classic television series Buffy: The Vampire Slayer!
 |
| "You have a little something on your... oh wait, it's your face!" |
Actor Nicholas Brendon, best known for his portrayal of socially-awkward-teen-turned-guardian-against-all-things-evil Xander Harris, now 42 (I feel so old pointing that out), is reportedly chipping in for issues 3–5 of series 10, which is set for release this March 19th.
Brendon joins writer Christos Gage (The Authority: Prime, WildCats) and artist Rebekah Isaacs (Ms. Marvel, DV8) for the story arc, which finds Buffy and the gang seeking out Dracula himself for a chat over tea and crumpets...
 |
| "Everybody look away. Giles is doing his crumpets face again!" |
I'm just kidding, I don't know anything about the intended story arc besides the fact that the issues will include a distinct change in the vampires of the Buffy-verse (or would that be the Whedon-verse?). However, I do know that the Buffy series, much like anything Dark Horse dedicates to the real thing, is awesome, just like Firefly was.
Wow, that just took me right back!
 |
| "Do NOT sing about the man they call Jayne, EVER AGAIN!!!" |
 |
| "Nathan Fillion poke out Xander's eye. Make Xander sad..." |
Sound off, Fanboys! On a sidenote, it's pretty damned exceptional that over ten years later, this series has gotten so far and is still going so strong. I'd like to read your brains if you've been keeping up on these, so comments below and thanks for staying with us!
Posted by
Fellonius Munch
Marvel's next heavy-hitter, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, can't smash its way onto the big screen soon enough for fans, but it's nice to see that they're confident enough not to need a new teaser or some freshly unfolded drama every week. For a movie so big, that's a good sign!
I wonder if it's because they're still singing, "WE GOT ROBERT REDFORD, WE GOT ROBERT REDFORD, SUCK IT WARNER BROTHERS!" or similar. I'd have liked that song in the pop charts. Those are some catchy lyrics, don't you think?
 |
| "I always wanted to shake hands with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!" |
Last year was full of some surprising casting announcements. Redford dropped his pipe and slippers for a superhero movie, and Harrison Ford dropped his Wookie for Expendables 3. These are two particular old-school actors who can do no wrong. If you love Harrison Ford and you don't like The Expendables, you're still going to learn to love Expendables 3, or at least watch it three times just to make sure you still hate it.
It's safe to say that with Redford, Captain America: The Winter Soldier will not only be as epic and immensely smart as it would have been without him, but now it will be ten times more credible and competent on top of that. On top of that dead cert, it's very likely that Redford has just bumped up future sales at the box office and broadened the target audience.
For those who may have uttered things such as, or similar to, "Robert who?" or "Who's that old fogey?" or "Never heard of him," Robert Redford isn't just a national treasure when it comes to cinematic history; he's globally recognized as one of the greatest and most loved actors of the last century.
Many fans of cinema, regardless of time, can love Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, and Al Pacino. I don't know anybody who doesn't. But before their time were actors like Redford, Dustin Hoffman, and Paul Newman—a class of actors who have seemingly not been able to do wrong by their audiences since the 1960s.
 |
| "Ha! You're an amateur next to me. From now on, your name is Samateur!" |
I've no doubt that the cast of this movie will have a lot to learn from the wrinkly acting master and that he'll lend it a hell of a lot of anchorage in the stormy seas of such high anticipation. Recently he spoke of his desire to work on Captain America, saying:
"One of the reasons that I did it was I wanted to experience this new form of filmmaking that's taken over where you have kind of cartoon characters brought to life through high technology. The Avengers series is a product of high technology playing a major role in the new order of filmmaking, so I wanted to experience that. I just wanted to know what that was like, and I had that opportunity, so for me it was like stepping into new terrain just to experience what it was like!"
That sounds ever so slightly like the story about Samuel L. Jackson sneaking onto the set of Breaking Bad, trying to get himself a cameo while dressed as Nick Fury, only with a happier ending. It's also, otherwise, very true in regard to how much cinema has changed lately. Folks like Redford relied on gripping drama to captivate their audiences before technology revolutionized cinema. So, if anything, this just backs up my theory as to why Captain America: The Winter Soldier is going to be massive.
Sound off, Fanboys! Do you need to be any more excited? Do you need any more assurance that this sequel is going to make the wait for Avengers: Age of Ultron so very much worth it? Thank you for reading, once again, and feel free to leave your comments below.
Posted by
Jeff Penner
- Monday, January 27, 2014
Are you ready to own a piece of cinema history?
News about Jurassic World, the long-awaited sequel to the 1993's Jurassic Park franchise, will start pouring onto your computer screens this year, leading up to its release on June 12th, 2015. The lovable Chris Pratt has signed on to star and "Theme Park Connection" in Orlando, FL, has made a surprise offering to celebrate the upcoming film.
An amazing ebay listing with impeccable marketing timing has got fans all aflutter. The listing is for the original Velociraptor crate from early in the film. Trying to recall the exact scene? The ebay listing itself describes it in detail:
This is the full size animal transport cage crate featured in the terrifying opening scene of the classic blockbuster movie!
This is the crate that housed the Velociraptor that attacked and killed the ill-fated "Gate Keeper" as Jurassic Park's Game Warden and workers attempted to move the Raptor into its permanent pen.
Jurassic Park's opening sequence is without a doubt one of the most memorable scenes in the movie, and anyone who has seen Jurassic Park (and who hasn't?!) will instantly remember this incredible piece.
In addition, the crate includes a full size Velociraptor prop!
You heard correctly, there is literally a life-size prop included. The nerd in me, however, has to point out that the movie got the size of the Velociraptor all wrong, and in reality the creature was less than half the size of the movie versions. In any case, the prop serves a staging purpose for the filmmaker but is not much use to the buyer. It comes plain white (check out the images here) so you can paint it any color you wish.
 |
| "He's gonna eat the goat?" |
At time of this writing, the listed bid is at $50,000US. My personal bid was broken way back at $79, so I'm out of the running (until The Monopoly Man adopts me and then dies, leaving me all his money). The listing does concede "This set would make for an amazing restoration project," aka, the crate is beat to sh**, or as they put it, "these treasures will benefit from some attention and TLC." Additionally, you should own a truck or borrow one from a friend, as the item is "pick up only."
Personally, I would snap this up in a heartbeat; what a great conversation starter at parties. Clearly by that I mean I would convert the crate into a dining table or kitchen island, making it the center of my perpetually-Jurassic-Park-themed house parties.
So? Are there any takers out there up for this opportunity, considering I'm willing to put in $79 if you cover the remaining balance?
Posted by
Anonymous
- Sunday, January 26, 2014
Quentin Tarantino, the infamous director of movies such as Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2, Reservoir Dogs, and Django Unchained, announced on January 20 that the first draft of his next movie had been leaked.
IGN reported that Tarantino gave copies of the draft to six people: three writers and three actors he had worked with on his previous movies. The movie, called The Hateful Eight, was to be another western. According to Deadline, Tarantino said that:
"I'm very, very depressed, I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn't mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it's gotten out today… I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth because I do like the fact that everyone eventually posts it, gets it and reviews it on the net. Frankly, I wouldn't want it any other way. I like the fact that people like my shit, and that they go out of their way to find it and read it. But I gave it to six motherfucking people!"
Furthermore, Tarantino states that he won't shoot the movie if it's already out. Instead, he plans to publish it and sell it as a book. He says that if he can't trust anyone with it, then he has no desire to make it into a movie. Tarantino first grew suspicious that the script had been leaked when agents began calling to ask for their clients to play in the movie. The people he think leaked the script are the agents of two actors—Michael Madsen from Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill and Bruce Dern from Django Unchained.
No problems here, Fanboys and Fangirls! Due to the ingenuity of Tarantino, he has more scripts and ideas in his mind. So, no worries.
Except, of course, the script is still spreading around Hollywood as we speak. On January 27th, The Telegraph posted that the script is moving from one agent to the next. Apparently the movie is about the events experienced by two bounty hunters, who would have been played by none other than Samuel L. Jackson and Michael Madsen.
Still, the movie will not be shot and, as Tarantino previously told Deadline, the script will be published as a book instead.
Tell us what you think, Fanboys and Fangirls! Is it OK to leak the great work of Tarantino and cause such trouble?
Posted by
Mike Paden
- Saturday, January 25, 2014
Geek Speak is a weekly radio show with an explosion of nerd conversation. Join hosts Craig Kellerman, Travis Goss, and Mike Paden as they rant and riff on this week's headlines in movies, TV, video games, comics, technology, cartoons, and whatever else is sparking their attention.
"Justin Bieber,
You Have Failed This Country!"
:: This Week's Headlines ::
Justin Bieber Arrested - Earlier today, after being pulled over for street racing, Bieber was arrested for driving without a valid license, drunken driving, and resisting arrest.
Batman vs. Superman Delayed - Originally slated for summer 2015, the epic has been delayed almost a year to May 6th, 2016.
Amazon Ships Your Package Before You Buy It - The company patented a new system called "anticipatory shipping" that will predict your next purchase and have it on its way to you before you even click "buy."
We also cover other stories from this week in our fast news segment, award our Clown of the Week, and invite your input through our phone lines and chat room.
:: Featured Music ::
Catch Geek Speak LIVE